Tuesday, December 27, 2005

SRI

I've just now made my first foray into investing, and decided that while I was at it I should support socially responsible investing. I scraped together enough cash to make the minimum investment in the Winslow Green Growth Fund (WGGFX) and went for it. It's a new and somewhat volatile fund but generally gets very high returns, and it feels good to invest in a rigorous environmental fund as opposed to a fund that just avoids tobacco and firearm stocks.

My biggest concern is that it focuses (inexplicably) on domestic securities, which may be a problem in the short-to-medium term when our structural deficits and current account imbalances finally catch up to us. Seems like a fund dedicated to environmental investments should take strong interest in European firms that are far ahead of us on alternative energy and carbon-saving technologies. But we'll see how this goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home